Tuesday, May 17, 2005

...Thumpety Thump Thump...Look at Frosty Skate...

I don't suppose anyone out there in BlogLand will catch the reference I'm making in today's subject heading, so let me go ahead and make it clear: when I was a kid, we had a VHS tape loaded with Christmas cartoons, and one of these cartoons just happened to be an animated version of "Frosty the Snowman". And let me tell you, folks, it was jam-packed with holiday cheer, including this one scene where Frosty goes ice-skating to the tune of this song that went, "Thumpety Thump Thump, Thumpety Thump Thump, Look at Frosty Skate...Thumpety Thump Thump, Thumpety Thump Thump, Making a Figure..." Now, what number should logically follow in this rhyme scheme, boys and girls? 8, right? Well, Frosty was one dumbshit snowman and he ended up doing a Figure 9. But still, you can see how it should have been an 8...And by the way - since we're talking about the number 8 and all - please allow me this opportunity to remind everyone that there are only 8 days to go before "J" Day comes marching across everybody's calendar.
As with a good 85% of all previous J-Days, I will be celebrating this one with my family out at Paul B. Johnson State Park in Hattiesburg (the Six Flags trip I mentioned yesterday will come later.) I must say that I'm really looking forward to it this year. I mean, yeah, I look forward to it every year, but for some reason it's different this time, I guess because it's been too long since I've been able to kick back with "my" people, enjoying the simple pleasure of doing everything and nothing at the same time. Time is like that when we're all together at Paul B. You'll think you've been asleep for hours, only to find out that it's only been a few minutes. Then somebody will run to buy ice up at the boat launch and an hour will go by. Granny always wakes up first, shuffling around the cabin and saying her prayers to herself. Then the drapes get opened and the sun comes in and we watch through half-sleeping eyes as she angrily chases the ducks off the porch with a broom. Jimmy takes his time waking up. He doesn't even put his glasses on before he's had a cup of coffee. Then Ding saunters over from his cabin and says we'll go out in the boat a little later on. Joseph and his friends will water-ski and ride the knee-boards and I'll have to keep an eye out for when they fall. It's always an ordeal to get Joseph back in the boat once he's fallen, which always leads to a war of words between him and Ding. Too funny. There's always chocolate milk in the fridge, which makes me laugh. When I was younger, you see, my mom gave me explicit instructions NOT to drink the chocolate milk, because it was Aunt Carmen's. "She doesn't drink coffee" - how strange. Especially in this family. And one by one, the familiar stories will all get told. Stories about Pop and campers and pliers. Or the time Heidi took off into the trees on a wild duck hunt. Jimmy and I will exaggerate how difficult it was to live together, and Mom will change the subject by commenting on how much we look like one another.
I don't know. I've been reading too much Faulkner. That's why this is reading the way it is. Or maybe that's just how my mind goes when I start getting sentimental. One thought after another. Yeah, that's it. Only eight days now. I'm looking forward to it.

"...somebody leave a light on, just in case...I can remember where I come from." - Tori Amos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home