Thursday, January 27, 2005

State of the J-Union Address

Well, it's 3:35 a.m. on a Thursday morning, and because I crashed and burned around 8:00 last night I'm now sitting here wide awake with no real desire to do anything truly constructive. It's funny how this works. Every time I'm up this early, I always tell myself that I could go ahead and take a shower, shave, iron my clothes, and be ready to go into work like uber-early. But, I soon decide against that, choosing instead to kick back in bed: reading, writing, dozing off, and watching movies. During the day I might call it procrastination. This early in the morning, though, I call it enjoying my free time. Anyway, there's much ground to cover, so let's jump right in.

Seeing the World Through Pink-Tinted Glasses

First and foremost, I'm happy to report that we officially broke ground this past weekend, filming the first scenes in the long-awaited "Pink". Kelly, Gregg, and I decided it would be beneficial to everyone involved if we started using Fridays as a rehearsal time to make sure everyone knew their lines and how they were supposed to be said. So, on Friday we did just that. And sure enough, our cast was on the ball - lines memorized, ready to go. (Except for Gregg of course, but he's got a lot going on so I let it slide.)
The first scene we filmed featured two characters named Jackie and Unsuspecting Guy (most of the male characters have titles instead of actual names), played to perfection by Mary Bess Pritchett and Mark Christ (pronounced "Krist"). Originally, we were going to film them in front of the Ole Miss Fountain, but the weather was really hazy and we couldn't find any electrical outlets to plug in any lighting equipment, so we had to scratch that idea and move on over to the chapel where we found lots of outlets that actually WORKED. I have to admit that my Catholic-boy sensitivities kicked into high gear at the thought of starting this whole thing at a place of worship, especially considering that the reason we chose the chapel was for its abundance of electrical outlets. "In the beginning," I told Gregg, "God said, 'Let there be lighting.'" It was funny - one of those "you had to be there" kind of laughs.
Saturday night, we did a shorter scene featuring the characters Leisa and Ashley. Now, before I say anything else, I just want to clarify that the name "Leisa" is pronounced exactly the same way as "Lisa". I spelled it with an "e" in the script because that's how a certain heartbreaker back in middle school used to spell her name. ** Mike, Giuliano, Dane - you know who I'm talking about, right? ** No one in the cast or crew had ever seen it spelled like that before. But anyway, Leisa and Ashley, two characters brilliantly portrayed by Annie Gaia and Sara(h) Bynum. We set that scene up like a soap opera. Very nice.
We were supposed to do an outdoor scene on Sunday morning, but it was 20-something degrees outside, so we decided to postpone and sleep in. That afternoon, we shot another scene with Ashley (i.e. Sara(h) Bynum) at the library. The guy who was supposed to do the scene with her didn't show up, though, so I ended up doing it myself. Hopefully we'll get to re-do that one sometime in April, if only because I don't want to come across as one of those "I want to do everything" writer/director/actor/musician/poet/basket-weaver/pottery/painter/intellectual/ Vincent Gallo type-guys. ..Plus, I'm already slated to play Happy Guy in the little sequence that opens the movie, and that part's got me written all over it. hehe
This weekend we go back for more. "I'm so excited. I can't wait to meet you there." Special thanks to Gregg, Kelly, Patrick, the cast, and of course Dr. Shollenberger for making this whole experience so very worthwhile.

A Decade of Black Rage

Yesterday, January 26th, marked a very special anniversary for the Family Wiltz. A family milestone, if you will. Yes, January 26th marked the 10-year anniversary of that fateful day when my mom walked outside to get the newspaper and found a certain stray black dog sitting by our garbage cans. She seemed so sweet and innocent then, so puppy-like and naive. Ten years and ten confirmed kills later, we now know her as Annie - Ruler of Households and Frightener of Sonic Carhops. Most people have those boring dogs that might lick you to death. It's nice to go against the grain and have one that inspires fear and respect. Show some love, y'all. That's my baby-dog and I love her.

Fell in Love With a Girl

As most of you know, I'm not really the type of person who advertises my romantic inclinations to the world. In fact, most of you - let's admit it - are far better acquainted with the stories of what's gone WRONG in my lovelife than with anything that's ever gone right. Few people, if any, are aware of the genuine romantic that lies beneath my veneer of sarcasm and bitter disappointment. No one was watching me that day at work when I was listening to my 4-CD collection of "Ulysses" and actually shed tears at the end of the "Penelope" episode. (My fellow pretentious English majors will say this is contrived, but I'm telling you, if you can read or listen to that last paragraph without feeling SOME kind of emotion you honestly have no heart.) And only a handful of people know that I once went alone to an early-afternoon showing of "Finding Neverland" so I could sit in the theater and cry freely, undisturbed. Yes, there's a heart in this young chest of mine. There is a love in me, raging. A joyous, magical feeling. And for the first time in my life, dear friends, I'm in love and I'm not afraid to say it out loud. Yes, I'm in love with a very special woman. Her name? Parker Posey.
I guess I've always had kind of a thing for her - she was great in Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show ("This is a fish! This is a FISH!!") But oh man, when I signed up for Netflix and finally got around to seeing The House of Yes, I had a sort of "Chariots of Fire"/"Eternal Love"/"Tonight, Tonight" medley going through my head for days. To see her playing a snotty rich girl who's obsessed with Jackie Kennedy was almost more than I could handle, especially in this one scene where she rips on her brother's fiance' for not coming from a wealthy family: "Were you POOR? Did you eat chicken pot pie?" You all know I've got a thing for bitches, and that did it for me.
Since then, I've been trying to find everything she's been in so I can spend as much Q.T. with her as possible. Clockwatchers. Suburbia. Dazed and Confused. A Mighty Wind...Even The Sweetest Thing (** Keith, I stole your copy, by the way. **) Don't worry, I'm not going to stalk her or anything. This is not some desperate cry for help. I'm just telling you, I'm in love with Parker Posey and what we have is real. So, be aware of that.

The Good News and the Bad News at Chaffe-McCall

Okay...work. It's not something I talk about very much, because there's not really very much to say. But, there've been a few noteworthy happenings lately and I want to address them. First the bad news, which is this: my dear friend/mortal enemy Brandalyn is no longer working with Chaffe. This of course is a real pisser, seeing as how Brandy was the first person I met when I started the job and the ONLY person at Chaffe who could fight with me with any kind of real conviction. She and I had this great reputation for not getting along very well, and some people went to great lengths to keep us separated. Few would guess how much respect we truly have for one another. You will be missed, B. I'm pouring a little out for you at every lunch.
The good news pales in comparison, but here it is: in Brandy's absence, I've been given a post on Chaffe's Team Player Committee. It's not a HUGE deal or anything, but we do get to have special meetings behind closed doors, which makes it feel really important. I was telling Meredith yesterday that I'm now "privy to a lot of information that the average Chaffer is unaware of." She said it wasn't that big a deal and that my (quote) "over-estimation of this committee's importance has grown tiresome." hehehe That Meredith. So funny and yet so jealous. The only downside of being on the Team Player Committee is that I can't nominate myself for anything, which is a shame. But, I can't imagine winning the Team Player Award anyway...especially seeing as how I've been dreaming up new and improved ways to get myself fired lately. The way I see it, my tax returns + two weeks severance pay + a paycheck would set me up pretty nicely through April. But, that's another story.

Right now it's time to close this up, so I'm going to go ahead and wish everyone a great day and the best in everything they're working on. Happy belated birthday to all my Aquarius friends, including, but not limited to: Giuliano, Jac, Angela, Jeff, and Vania. Anyone I left out can scold me later.

Much love from the J.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man I would like to answer the question about Claudio. In fact, it's funny you mention it because, Everyday I find myself singing, "Claudia, Claudia, pretty girls can't be sad." I hoe that answers your question. On all the others,I haven't the foggiest.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home