Tuesday, May 24, 2005

26 Things I'm Expecting From My 26th Year of Life

Okay okay, I know. I haven't kept up with the birthday countdown as often as I was supposed to, and as a result I've lost that childish quality which so intrigues/annoys my admirers/detractors. What can I say? It's been a busy week. (I slept for 13 hours last night, if that's any indication of what I've been running on.) Anyway, I've got a little time now, so please allow me this opportunity to compile a list for your easy-reading consumption. It's good to have goals and this is a list of mine as I prepare for my 26th birthday.

Behold, 26 Resolutions and Desires for My 26th Year of Life (In No Particular Order)

(1) I want to go back to school this year in pursuit of my Masters degree in English. I'm currently in the process of registering for classes at U.N.O. and I hope you'll all wish me luck in this endeavor.

(2) I want not only to become enrolled in school again, but to keep my GPA between a 3.5 and a 4.0. Honor roll, if you please.

(3) I want 26 to be the year when I really begin my serious writing. By this time next year I want to have my collection of short stories completed, as well as the script I'm currently working on with Mark Chaney and Sarah Fineout.

(4) Within the next year I want to see "Pink" edited together in the best way possible, pressed to DVD, and selling on an Internet site devoted to yours truly.

(5) By the time I turn 27 I want to be in the best physical condition of my life.

(6) I want to do a lot of travelling this year. Specifically, I want to visit friends whom I haven't seen in a while (Matt, Mike, Dane, etc.) and to be a more visible uncle figure for my "nieces" Eli and Karina. Also, I want this to be the year when I leave the country for the first time.

(7) I want 26 to be the year when I really establish myself financially, putting together an adequate savings and focusing more on the future.

(8) Sort of an addition to #7: I want to have enough money set aside within the next year to take myself to Dublin (Bloomsday) for my 27th birthday.

(9) I want to take up piano and photography this year. Also, I want to start playing guitar and writing songs again. (I think the Brass Tacks are due for that "mature" album that every band eventually releases. hehe)

(10) Somehow, some way, I want to see the White Stripes on tour within the following year.

(11) By this time next year I would like to meet Parker Posey - even if she IS a bitch like everyone says.

(12) I want 26 to be a very sociable year, and by that I mean that I want to spend more time going out and about in New Orleans, going to new places and meeting new people. I feel like I've been hibernating for quite some time.

(13) By the time I turn 27 I want to complete at least five more things on my notorious list of 100 Things to Do In My Lifetime.

(14) I want to fall in love this year - hopelessly, recklessly, passionately. Granted, you can't really prepare yourself for that sort of thing (and you definitely can't do it on purpose), but I can at least be more open to the idea of love this year instead holding myself aloof and taking my pleasure from romantic failure instead of success.

(15) I want to become a better friend/correspondent this year, allowing my best relationships to grow and mature instead of simply using my friends as sounding boards for my various dramas and schemes.

(16) Within the next year I want to read at least one impossibly long novel (Atlas Shrugged, War and Peace, etc.) Any suggestions?

(17) Some of you may not be aware of this, but lately I've been working on a sitcom idea with a couple of friends. I want to stay consistent in this venture and take it as far as it can possibly go. Who knows? Maybe this time next year I'll be working for NBC or something. hehe

(18) Somewhere between now and next May 25th, I want to break up the relationship between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt (you know, the one they swear they're not having?) No particular reason. I just want to be on TV.

(19) Hopefully 26 will be the year when I FINALLY get a chance to use my very favorite phrase: "FIFTEEN?! I thought she was 36!"

(20) One thing I REALLY want to do this year is stick it to the Man on June 20th when I appear in New Orleans Traffic Court about my broken headlight. No peace! No justice! No peace! No justice! You can believe I'll be listening to Public Enemy on the way to the courthouse.

(21) Though I love everyone I work with very dearly, I really hope to find another job within the next year - one where I can make the most of my natural talents and capabilities.

(22) Given that Cryssie's wedding in October will logically be the last wedding where I'm able to give a speech at the reception, I hope to put together the best wedding reception speech in the history of oral communication - one where people will be laughing through tears all during their standing ovation. Who knows? Maybe I'll even cap it off with a Howard Dean-style scream at the end.

(23) Come Hell or high water, I'm getting a lap dance within the coming year. (My struggle to get a lap dance is really quite monumental. I've hit every speed bump imaginable, ranging from lack of funds to cheap friends to inattentive strippers. Hopefully this year will be different.)

(24) At some point in the next 12 months, I want to start/join some kind of book club...It's lame, I know, but that's the ABCs of me.

(25) I want to expand my cultural horizons this year, becoming more versed in a foreign language and seeing a movie at Canal Place at least once every two weeks.

and finally...

(26) Most importantly, I want to grow spiritually this year. Through faith and prayer, I want to find the path that's meant for me, and I want to learn how to trust that path more and more as I go along this crazy little thing called life.

Yup, it's a lot to ask from a single year, but kicking back don't make it.

My best to everyone. Cheers.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

J,

I like your 26 resolutions, but I find there is a contradiction between goals 23 and 26. I don't think that getting a lap dance is going to increase your spritual life.

Mike

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home