Sunday, August 28, 2005

When It Rains It Pours...and Floods...and Blows Trees Over

Well well well...I made plans to come home to Biloxi this weekend so I could tie up a few loose ends and, ideally, spend hour upon hour working on some writing. But, lo and behold, I woke up this morning to find a Category 5 hurricane heading straight for us. So much for planning.

There's something kind of tragically coincidental about this, seeing as how I just finished moving all of my most important belongings (bed, bookshelves, DVD collection, etc.) from Biloxi to New Orleans. Thus, half of my stuff is now in one place and the other half is in the other, and this storm looks big enough to affect them both. Adding insult to injury, moving all of my stuff really cost me a pretty penny and has me eating Hot Pockets and praying for my next paycheck. And so it would seem that I've now PAID to put most of my stuff in harm's way. This, my friends, is Murphy's Law in action.

Still, at the risk of sounding foolishly/recklessly optimistic, there's a part of me that's refusing to panic about Hurricane Katrina, even as we're preparing to break out the plywood and head for higher ground. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and realize that most things can be replaced. Maybe it's because this area of the country will undoubtedly be more prepared for this storm than we were for the legendary Hurricane Camille (anyone who grew up in Biloxi knows that one of the things that made Camille so destructive was the fact that no one took it seriously.) Or maybe it's the simple fact that I've been needing a vacation. Whatever it is, I hope you won't worry too much about me - if indeed it's even crossed your mind to worry about me. Just light your candles for those poor souls who can't just toss a few clothes and boxes into the Firebird and head out for the horizon. Also, if you wouldn't mind, please say a little prayer for my parents' home, the city of New Orleans, and the entire Gulf Coast.

Off I go now. Wish us luck.

"...and behold, a violent storm came up on the sea, so much that the boat was covered with the waves, but he was asleep. They came to him, and woke him up, saying, 'Save us, Lord! We are dying!' He said to them, 'Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?' Then he got up, rebuked the wind and the sea, and there was a great calm. The men marveled, saying, 'What kind of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?'"

Matthew 8:23-27

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya'll be carefull and stay safe!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home